February




This is an #unpopularopinion but I LOVE February. It is one of my favorite months - top five month really ( others are October, December, July, and September).

Most people hate February so this always prompts discussion when I declare how much I like it (hint: often, especially in February). So why the love?

I love February because it feels so much better than January to me. In New England the days are getting longer at a noticeable rate. The light in the morning and afternoon is gorgeous. Sure it may be 15 degrees out but it LOOKS beautiful.

You start to feel signs of Spring - maybe a bird chirping or a warmer day - but you don’t expect it in the way you start to expect Spring in March (ha good luck) or April, so there’s less disappointment when New England inevitably decides to be New England and dump seven inches of snow and ice on you.

It’s a short month, most people get a long weekend in the form of President’s Day, and there’s Valentine’s Day. I’ve always loved Valentine’s Day, regardless of my relationship status at a given time. It’s just a happy, joyful day. Plus there’s usually chocolate, treats and red and pink!

February also has the Super Bowl these days and in New England that has been a special weekend for Patriots fans. With a Patriots appearance over the last three years and a victory in the most recent game, February is a reason to celebrate in New England.

Despite my feelings about February I’ve always gotten a kick out of this quote I discovered in a Reader’s Digest many years ago about February

February is not the coldest, or the snowiest month, it is simply the nastiest, meanest month of all. February is an ice shieve in your boot. You want to kick February in the knee. You want to insult February’s mother. You want to have a party and not invite February. 
Must not have been referring to February in New England.

Comments

Popular Posts